Whilst the rest of the company were out enjoying Cintra’s Summer Party, our Sales Manager Larry Roberts was doing his bit for those less fortunate than ourselves, performing with charity rock band 55 Degrees at Northumbrian Water’s annual Wateraid Monster Ball at Newcastle’s Gosforth Park Hotel.
Wateraid is a charity which supports the provision of clean drinking water and sanitation to poor countries and those with severe droughts and/ or poor drainage or sewerage systems, thereby helping to dramatically reduce the occurrence of life threatening diseases and generally improving the lives of people in these areas. Just £15 can provide a person in such an area with lifetime access to local fresh water, where previously they might have had to walk many miles in dust and unbearable heat to get access to dirty, polluted or contaminated supplies.
- 1.1 billion people in the world do not have access to safe water – this is roughly one sixth of the world’s population.
- 2.6 billion people in the world do not have access to adequate sanitation, this is roughly 40% of the world’s population.
- 1.8 million children die every year as a result of diseases caused by unclean water and poor sanitation. This amounts to around 5,000 deaths a day.
- For every £1 invested in sanitation, £9 is returned in increased productivity and a reduced burden of healthcare. (UNDP)
- The integrated approach of providing water, sanitation and hygiene reduces the number of deaths caused by diarrhoeal diseases by an average of 65%. (WHO)
- The weight of water that women in Africa and Asia carry on their heads is commonly 20kg, the same as the average UK airport luggage allowance.
- In the UK the expansion of water and sanitation infrastructure in the 1880s contributed to a 15 year increase in life expectancy in the space of less than four decades.
Anyone wishing to make a donation to this cause can either contact our Marketing Manager, Katrina Brownless on 0191 4787000, or make a donation online at Wateraids’ website, http://www.wateraid.org/uk/
Many thanks in anticipation of your support.